Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, the Anthem Education Group (AEG) family of schools has provided quality post-secondary education for more than a century. AEG encompasses 23 physical campuses and two web properties (Anthem.edu and AnthemCollege.com) that generate inquiries (leads) for the admissions staff.
AEG hired Delve to audit Google Analytics, “own” the website reporting function as an extension of the client’s team, maintain reports and run analysis, and ultimately optimize the website to improve lead conversion.
As a secondary function, we assisted AEG with an ongoing assessment of the client’s paid search and organic search agencies.
When we came onboard, AEG had eight different websites — one for each college. After some time, websites were consolidated to just two properties. We then led the way to Google Analytics nirvana:
1. Implementation Audit
We audited and fixed Google Analytics, including:
2. Reporting and Analysis
Comprehensive data reporting included:
3. Website Optimization through A/B testing
AEG asked for a double-digit increase in lead conversion. We proposed a series of A/B tests across the complete website funnel from the home and main top navigation pages to the lead registration and appointment registration forms.
Unlike typical landing page testing where only one page is being tested at any given time with a discrete set of elements, entire site sections were tested.
Delve Partners Testing Methodology:
1 Primary Research = Hypothesis = Test Roadmap & Execution
1) Qualitative / On-site Primary Research: We used two relatively affordable methods to understand the opportunity for improvements:
- Exit Survey: Through an on-site survey, we figured out why people are visiting the site, why they leave, and how to improve the experience.
- Unmoderated Usability Test: We ran this test remotely via an asynchronous technology that enables viewing and recording of the sessions by observers.
2) Quantitative / Web Analytics: We analyzed the website in great detail using Google Analytics and used the classic website funnel approach to uncover areas of opportunity. For instance:
- How are people getting to the website? What are the traffic sources?
- What are the top entry pages? By traffic source? By visitor type?
- How are visitors getting to the registration page?
- Registration conversion: How many register as a lead? Where do they fall off on the form? What are the main friction points?
- Appointment conversion: Of those that register as a lead, how many subscribe? What are the main friction points to schedule an appointment?
The objectives for both the qualitative and quantitative steps were to identify the main contributors that could be implemented to improve the user experience. We were then able to come up with a hypothesis behind the designs of the A/B tests.
3) A/B tests and Revenue Upside – for each step in the funnel:
For each step in the funnel:
a. We proposed several test alternatives to the “control” experience.
b. Then, we estimated the potential revenue upside from each test, calculating potential outcomes based on our past experience.
c. A/B Test Roadmap: Once we understood which tests offered the highest opportunity for improvement, we laid out a roadmap for all the tests, focusing on tests that were:
- Simple (least complicated for IT, cheapest to design for creative and quickest to market)
- Offering the highest revenue upside potential
4) Finally, working side by side with IT, Marketing, and Creative – ran and measured
With a clear A/B test process in place, we aimed for a 95% confidence interval on all tests and were able to project annual revenue for each one.
Over a period of 6 weeks, we increased conversion to registration by 25% from an improved registration page:
We are currently in the process of running additional tests to further increase conversion to registration.
A family of schools that include 23 physical campuses and an online learning site.
Delve Partners have been instrumental in guiding our decisions to make a better website. They work as part of our team rather than an outside vendor. Their guidance and analytic support have turned more web traffic into qualified prospective students. Todd Rash, VP - Marketing
Want to find out more about how Delve Partners can help you?
Get in touch — we’d love to hear from you.